Rather than following an extreme detox plan that limits just about every food except fruit and veg while at the same time getting you to down a nasty ‘detox’ drink every day, this plan is safer and more sensible and shouldn’t leave you short on nutrients if you follow it for just one week.
Foods to include in the plan
Your plan can include:
- Fruit – your plan can include any fruit including fresh, frozen, dried or canned in natural fruit juice. This includes apples, bananas, pears, oranges, grapefruit, satsumas, sultanas, raisins, pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit, strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, nectarines, peaches, melons, star fruit etc
- Fruit juice – either make homemade fruit juices or smoothies from fresh fruit, or drink ready-made juices. Make sure ready-made juices are labelled as being ‘pure’ or ‘unsweetened’.
- Vegetables – eat any vegetables including fresh, frozen or canned in water (without salt added). This includes carrots, onions, turnip, swede, sprouts, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers, leeks, courgettes, broccoli, cauliflower, salad, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions etc
- Beans and lentils – eat any beans, including those that have been dried or canned in water. This includes red kidney, haricot, cannellini, butter, black eye, pinto, red lentils, green lentils and brown lentils
- Tofu and Quorn
- Oats – sprinkle oats over fresh fruit or use to make porridge, sweetened with honey and fresh fruit
- Potatoes – all types
- Brown rice and rice noodles
- Rye crackers, rice cakes and oatcakes
- Fresh fish – eat any fresh fish including cod, plaice, mackerel, salmon, lobster, crab, trout, haddock, tuna, prawns, Dover sole, red mullet, halibut, lemon sole, monkfish, swordfish etc. Canned fish in water is suitable too eg salmon or tuna
- Unsalted nuts – eat any including Brazil, peanuts, almonds, cashew, hazel nuts, macadamia, pecans, pine nuts, pistachio, walnuts etc
- Unsalted seeds – eat any including sunflower and pumpkin
- Plain popcorn – without sugar or salt
- Live natural yogurt
- Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Garlic, ginger and fresh herbs
- Ground black pepper
- Water – at least 2 liters a day. Tap or mineral water is fine.
- Herbal or fruit teas
Foods to avoid during your detox
- Red meat, chicken, turkey and any meat products like sausages, burgers, and pate
- Milk, cheese, eggs, cream
- Butter and margarine
- Any food that contains wheat including bread, croissants, cereals, cakes, biscuits, pies, pastry, quiche, battered or breadcrumbed foods, etc
- Crisps and savory snacks including salted nuts
- Chocolate, sweets, jam, and sugar
- Processed foods, ready meals, ready-made sauces, and takeaways
- Coffee and tea
- Sauces, pickles, shop bought salad dressing, mayonnaise
- Fizzy drinks and squashes, including diet versions
Detox Plan Breakfasts
- Banana porridge
Porridge made with water and topped with natural yogurt, banana, raisins and sweetened with honey.
- Fruit salad with yogurt and oats
Fresh fruit salad with natural yogurt and a sprinkling of oats.
- Fresh fruit smoothie
Fruit smoothie made from fresh fruit, natural yogurt and honey to sweeten if needed.
- Muesli and yogurt
Homemade muesli made from oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit served with natural yogurt.
- Fresh fruit and yogurt
Fresh fruit and a pot of natural yogurt sweetened with honey.
Detox Plan Lunches
- Vegetable soup and oatcakes
A large bowl of vegetable or lentil soup (either homemade or supermarket ‘fresh’) with oatcakes.
- Tuna and sweetcorn jacket potato and salad
Jacket potato topped with tuna (canned in water) mixed with sweetcorn and natural yogurt and served with salad.
- Mediterranean salad with rice cakes
Rice cakes served with rocket, avocado, tomatoes, fresh basil and black pepper. Plus a handful of unsalted nuts.
- Guacamole with crudités
Homemade guacamole made from avocado, lemon juice, fresh chili, tomatoes and garlic served with vegetable crudités and oatcakes.
- Tzatziki with crudités
Homemade tzatziki made from natural yogurt, garlic, cucumber and lemon juice served with vegetable crudités and oatcakes.
- Avocado and prawn salad
Fresh avocado served with prawns, salad, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice.
- Jacket potato with grilled cod
Grilled cod fillet served with jacket potatoes and lightly steamed vegetables.
Detox Plan Dinners
- Chinese vegetable stir fry
Stir fry a selection of vegetables such as bok choi, spring onions, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and bean sprouts in a little olive oil with garlic and ginger. Serve with brown rice.
- Baked salmon with jacket potato
Bake a salmon fillet and serve with a jacket potato and steamed vegetables.
- Tuna and prawns with noodles
Gently fry a selection of vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, peppers, courgette and leek in a little olive oil. When lightly browned, add a handful of prawns. Cook for a few minutes, then add canned tomatoes, tomato puree, black pepper and tuna canned in water. Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens. Serve with rice noodles.
- Sweet and sour stir fry with rice
Gently fry a selection of chopped vegetables such as onions, peppers, baby sweetcorn and mushrooms. Add canned pineapple (in fruit juice), canned tomatoes, tomato purée, white wine vinegar and honey. Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Serve with brown rice.
- Potato and bean casserole
Gently fry a selection of typical casserole vegetables such as onion, carrots, and parsnip in a little olive oil with garlic. When browned, add diced potato and fry for a few minutes. Add fresh vegetable stock, black pepper, and your favorite beans. Bring to the boil and simmer until the casserole thickens.
Detox Plan Snacks
- Fresh fruit or fresh fruit salad
- Natural yogurt mixed with honey
- Plain popcorn
- A handful of unsalted nuts or seeds